2017, May-Present: Freelance Science Writer
2017, Jan-May: Locum Associate Editor, Nature Geoscience
2012-2016: Junior Researcher, GFZ Potsdam – doctoral researcher at the German national earth science institute.
PhD: 2012-2016. Graduated from the University of Potsdam, Germany.
Defended 7th December 2016. Final grade: Summa cum Laude
Thesis title: Chemical Weathering Driven by Bedrock Landslides.
Supervisors: Prof Niels Hovius (GFZ Potsdam) and Prof Albert Galy (CRPG-CNRS Nancy)
Awarded the 2017 Michelson Prize from the University of Potsdam, for best thesis.
MSci: 2011-2012, Geological Sciences, University of Cambridge.
Masters project title: Water isotopes in hydrated Volcanic Glass
Working with Prof. David Hodell
BA: 2008-2011, Natural Sciences Tripos, University of Cambridge.
- Emberson, R. Hovius, N., Galy, A., Marc, O. Chemical weathering in active mountain belts controlled by stochastic bedrock landsliding (2016). Nature Geoscience, vol. 9, 42-45, doi:10.1038/ngeo2600
- Burtin, A., N. Hovius, D. T. Milodowski, Y.-G. Chen, Y.-M. Wu, C.-W. Lin, H. Chen, R. Emberson, and P.-L. Leu (2013), Continuous catchment-scale monitoring of geomorphic processes with a 2-D seismological array, J. Geophys. Res. Earth Surf., 118, doi:10.1002/jgrf.20137.
- Emberson, R., Hovius, N., Galy, A., & Marc, O. Oxidation of sulphides and rapid weathering in recent landslides (2016). Earth Surface Dynamics. vol. 4, 727-742 doi:10.5194/esurf-4-727-2016
- Emberson, R. Galy, A., Hovius, N. Combined effect of carbonate and biotite dissolution in landslides biases silicate weathering proxies. Revised submission in consideration at Geochemica Cosmochemica Acta
- Emberson, R. Galy, A., Hovius, N. Weathering of Reactive Mineral Phases in Landslides Acts as Source of Carbon Dioxide in Mountain Belts. In prep. for Geophysical Research Letters.
- “Enmeshed in the gears of publishing – lessons from working as a young editor” EGU Geolog, published 14/06/2017 (http://blogs.egu.eu/geolog/2017/06/14/enmeshed-in-the-gears-of-publishing-lessons-from-working-as-a-young-editor/)
- “Millenium Seed Bank” Atlas Obscura, published 17/05/2017 (http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/millennium-seed-bank)
- “A flame-filled history” Nature Geoscience, published 01/05/2017. (doi:10.1038/ngeo2944)
- “Deforestation: Accelerating riverbank erosion” Nature Geoscience, published 01/05/2017 (doi:10.1038/ngeo2948)