2018 Jun – Present: Visiting Scientist, USRA / NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
- Part of NASA landslide research team, building a better understanding of risk posed by landslides in real time and at a global scale.
2017 Jan – May: Locum Associate Editor, Nature Geoscience; Springer Nature, London UK
- Part of a team of editors to publish with leading earth science papers.
- Delivered content within tight deadlines, authored by external scientists & personally.
- Handled highly selective submissions process, & communicated decisions to authors.
- Promotion of Nature brand at conferences & exhibitions.
2017-2018: Science Writer & Editor (Freelance)
- Features published on American Geological Union and European Geological Union websites, as well as in Nature Geoscience.
- Since September 2017 – volunteer writer for charity Geology for Global Development.
- Editor for Cactus Communications (Academic editing service for nonnative English speakers).
Sept 2012-June 2016: Junior Researcher; GFZ Potsdam, Germany
- Doctoral researcher at the Helmholtz-funded German national earth science institute.
- Multidisciplinary projects incorporating lab and fieldwork alongside problem solving inherent in academic research.
- Published 3 first-author research papers, 6 conference proceedings
- Part of an expanding group at the cutting edge of geomorphic research.
PhD: 2012-2016. Graduated from the University of Potsdam, Germany.
Defended 7th December 2016. Final grade: Summa cum Laude
Thesis title: Chemical Weathering Driven by Bedrock Landslides.
Supervisors: Prof Niels Hovius (GFZ Potsdam) and Prof Albert Galy (CRPG-CNRS Nancy)
MSci: 2011-2012, Geological Sciences, University of Cambridge.
Masters project title: Water isotopes in hydrated Volcanic Glass
Working with Prof. David Hodell
BA: 2008-2011, Natural Sciences Tripos, University of Cambridge.
Awards & Grants
- 2017 Michelson Prize from the University of Potsdam, for best thesis.
- 2010 Cambridge Centre for Latin American Studies Chile project fund awardee for Undergraduate mapping project
- 2010 Cooper Travel fund awardee (St John’s College Cambridge) for Undergraduate mapping project
- 2006 Arkwright Engineering Scholarship – sponsor Rolls-Royce
- Emberson, R. Hovius, N., Galy, A., Marc, O. Chemical weathering in active mountain belts controlled by stochastic bedrock landsliding (2016). Nature Geoscience, vol. 9, 42-45, doi:10.1038/ngeo2600
N.B. Final pre-publication files available here, via Google Drive:
Main Text & Methods; Figures from Main Text; Data Tables; Supplementary Material
- Burtin, A., N. Hovius, D. T. Milodowski, Y.-G. Chen, Y.-M. Wu, C.-W. Lin, H. Chen, R. Emberson, and P.-L. Leu (2013), Continuous catchment-scale monitoring of geomorphic processes with a 2-D seismological array, J. Geophys. Res. Earth Surf., 118, doi:10.1002/jgrf.20137. N.B. Available as Open Access via doi.
- Emberson, R., Hovius, N., Galy, A., & Marc, O. Oxidation of sulphides and rapid weathering in recent landslides (2016). Earth Surface Dynamics. vol. 4, 727-742 doi:10.5194/esurf-4-727-2016 N.B. Available as Open Access via doi.
- Emberson, R. Galy, A., Hovius, N. Combined effect of carbonate and biotite dissolution in landslides biases silicate weathering proxies (2017). Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta. vol. 213, 418-434. doi:10.1016/j.gca.2017.07.014
- Emberson, R. Galy, A., Hovius, N. Weathering of Reactive Mineral Phases in Landslides Acts as Source of Carbon Dioxide in Mountain Belts. In prep. for Geophysical Research Letters.
- Fieldwork – Led my own successful geological sampling campaigns in remote locations, including: Taiwan (2013, 2 teams of 3, 2015, team of 5 local students and researchers; 12 weeks total) & New Zealand (2014, team of 4, 4 weeks)
- Mentoring – worked as project mentor for undergraduate and masters students in my research group, 2013-2016.
- Presentations – Presented at several international academic conferences (oral presentations at AGU Fall Meeting 2015 & 2014, Goldschmidt Conference 2015, in poster format at AGU FM 2013, EGU 2013, Goldschmidt Conference 2014).
- Summa Cum Laude grade for doctoral defence presentation.
- Given invited technical talks at the ETH in Zurich, Switzerland, and the CRPG in Nancy, France, both of which are highly influential centres for European geosciences.
- Blogging – Personal blog (since 2017), focused on science communication & policy, with several hundred independent views per month.
- Research Collaboration – Part of several other research projects during PhD, including fieldwork in Nepal and Switzerland. Produced code & GIS solutions used and published in colleagues’ projects.
- University Organisations – Part of St John’s College student union (secretary & external officer, 2009-2010), and part of college telethon campaign team, summer 2011.
ESRI ArcGIS, MATLAB, R & RStudio, Microsoft Office Suite, Inkscape
Native English speaker; conversational French & German (European A2/B1 standard)
Keen mountaineer and runner (Berlin marathon 2016, Edinburgh marathon 2010 & 2014). I’m also passionate about sustainable development; I volunteered on a conservation project in Nepal, working with the Annapurna Conservation Area Project, in October 2016, and am currently a volunteer writer for the charity Geology for Global Development.