2017, May-Present: Freelance Science Writer
2017, Jan-May: Locum Associate Editor, Nature Geoscience
2012-2016: Junior Researcher, GFZ Potsdam – doctoral researcher at the German national earth science institute.
PhD: 2012-2016. Graduated from the University of Potsdam, Germany.
Defended 7th December 2016. Final grade: Summa cum Laude
Thesis title: Chemical Weathering Driven by Bedrock Landslides.
Supervisors: Prof Niels Hovius (GFZ Potsdam) and Prof Albert Galy (CRPG-CNRS Nancy)
Awarded the 2017 Michelson Prize from the University of Potsdam, for best thesis.
MSci: 2011-2012, Geological Sciences, University of Cambridge.
Masters project title: Water isotopes in hydrated Volcanic Glass
Working with Prof. David Hodell
BA: 2008-2011, Natural Sciences Tripos, University of Cambridge.
Leadership & Communication Skills
2010-2017 – Led successful fieldwork & geological sampling campaigns in several remote locations, including: Chile (2010, 6 weeks), Taiwan (2013, 2015 & 2017, 12 weeks), New Zealand (2014, 4 weeks) & Nepal (2013, 2 weeks), requiring logistical wrangling and collaboration with both local researchers and from my own organisation.
2013-2016- Presented at several international academic conferences (oral presentations at AGU Fall Meeting 2015 & 2014, Goldschmidt Conference 2015, in poster format at AGU FM 2013, EGU 2013, Goldschmidt Conference 2014).
Given invited talks at the ETH in Zurich, Switzerland, and the CRPG in Nancy, France, both of which are highly influential centres for European geosciences.
2009-2010 – St John’s College student union secretary and external officer.
- Emberson, R. Hovius, N., Galy, A., Marc, O. Chemical weathering in active mountain belts controlled by stochastic bedrock landsliding (2016). Nature Geoscience, vol. 9, 42-45, doi:10.1038/ngeo2600
N.B. Final pre-publication files available here, via Google Drive:
Main Text & Methods; Figures from Main Text; Data Tables; Supplementary Material
- Burtin, A., N. Hovius, D. T. Milodowski, Y.-G. Chen, Y.-M. Wu, C.-W. Lin, H. Chen, R. Emberson, and P.-L. Leu (2013), Continuous catchment-scale monitoring of geomorphic processes with a 2-D seismological array, J. Geophys. Res. Earth Surf., 118, doi:10.1002/jgrf.20137. N.B. Available as Open Access via doi.
- Emberson, R., Hovius, N., Galy, A., & Marc, O. Oxidation of sulphides and rapid weathering in recent landslides (2016). Earth Surface Dynamics. vol. 4, 727-742 doi:10.5194/esurf-4-727-2016 N.B. Available as Open Access via doi.
- Emberson, R. Galy, A., Hovius, N. Combined effect of carbonate and biotite dissolution in landslides biases silicate weathering proxies (2017). Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta. vol. 213, 418-434. doi:10.1016/j.gca.2017.07.014
- Emberson, R. Galy, A., Hovius, N. Weathering of Reactive Mineral Phases in Landslides Acts as Source of Carbon Dioxide in Mountain Belts. In prep. for Geophysical Research Letters.
- “Record-setting forest fires in 2017 – what is to blame?” EGU Geolog, published 28/09/2017 (http://blogs.egu.eu/geolog/2017/09/28/record-setting-forest-fires-in-2017-what-is-to-blame/)
- “Enmeshed in the gears of publishing – lessons from working as a young editor” EGU Geolog, published 14/06/2017 (http://blogs.egu.eu/geolog/2017/06/14/enmeshed-in-the-gears-of-publishing-lessons-from-working-as-a-young-editor/)
- “The science before (and during) the storm”, Parts 1 & 2. AGU “The Field” Blog. Published 17/07/2017 & 18/07/2017
Part 1 (https://blogs.agu.org/thefield/2017/07/17/science-storm-part-1/)
Part 2 (https://blogs.agu.org/thefield/2017/07/18/science-storm-part-2/)
- “Millenium Seed Bank” Atlas Obscura, published 17/05/2017 (http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/millennium-seed-bank)
- “A flame-filled history” Nature Geoscience, published 01/05/2017. (doi:10.1038/ngeo2944)
- “Deforestation: Accelerating riverbank erosion” Nature Geoscience, published 01/05/2017 (doi:10.1038/ngeo2948)
ESRI ArcGIS, MATLAB, Microsoft Office Suite, Inkscape
Native English speaker; conversational French & German (European A2/B1 standard)
Keen mountaineer and runner (Berlin marathon 2016, Edinburgh marathon 2010 & 2014). I’m also passionate about sustainable development; I volunteered on a conservation project in Nepal, working with the Annapurna Conservation Area Project, in October 2016, and am currently a volunteer writer for the charity Geology for Global Development.